Mitchell Lattof | June 9, 2020 | Car Accidents
Following a car crash, most accident victims ask themselves if they need a lawyer. The answer depends on the situation. Minor car accidents with no injuries typically don’t require the expertise of an attorney, and those involved can manage the claim on their own. And while injury victims can handle their own cases for more serious accidents, an attorney may offer valuable experience and information.
What an Accident Attorney Can Do for Injury Victims
Many accident victims have little experience with the law. Even if you’ve been in an accident before, each case is unique and different options may be available to you. An experienced injury attorney can offer insight and guidance to help you be as successful as possible. As part of his work, the attorney will:
- Investigate your claim
- Negotiate with insurance companies
- Manage the paperwork
- Meet deadlines
- Protect personal information not related to the claim
- Explain your rights, so you make the best decisions
- Be your voice and advocate
5 Situations When You Really Need an Injury Attorney
While an attorney can provide critical services and offer victims protection in most any situation, there are certain times when it is especially important to speak to a lawyer about your case. These situations include:
- Fault is unclear. Often, there is a dispute about who is at fault for an accident. This is especially true in Alabama, a state with very strict rules about fault and compensation. If you believe the police report is unclear or incorrect, or you think you are being unfairly blamed, seek the advice of an attorney.
- You have suffered serious injuries. Serious injuries that require long-term care can change your life and those of your family members. It’s important that injury victims are able to obtain all the compensation they deserve, so they can heal as fully as possible and remain financially stable.
- You have experienced significant property damage. Losing your vehicle can cause a variety of problems in your life. Insurance companies my try to avoid their duty to repair or replace your vehicle, but an experienced attorney may be able to help.
- The insurance company is not cooperating. Insurance companies will try a variety of tactics to save money, almost always to the detriment of the victim. If you feel the insurance company is not being straightforward, talk to an attorney with experience.
- The insurance company is pressuring you to accept a settlement. Insurance companies frequently pressure accident victims to settle quickly, often for much less than they deserve. To protect your health and future, resist the temptation to settle right away on your own.
Speak to an Alabama Car Accident Lawyer Today
Even if you’re not sure you need an attorney, the legal team at Lattof & Lattof wants to talk to you. With free, no-obligation consultations, our team can help you understand your situation and make the best decisions moving forward. Call our Mobile office, or take a moment to fill out the contact form on this page. You’ll speak to a member of our team and learn more about what we do and how we may be able to help.