Clients often ask the lawyers at Lattof & Lattof, PC, “How long will my car accident case take to settle in Alabama?”
If you want to know the answer to this question, just keep reading.
Should you need more information when you finish, feel free to contact our car accident attorneys in Mobile, AL, at any time.
Understanding the Compensation Claims Process in the State of Alabama
To fully comprehend the amount of time it takes to settle a car crash case in the state of Alabama, one must first learn how the compensation claims process works. In most cases, it follows this general roadmap:
The legal process begins when a plaintiff files a complaint with the court. It can take a few weeks to prepare this filing if the case is complicated.
After a plaintiff files a complaint, they must provide the defendant with a copy. This process can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to several months.
Once the defendant receives their copy of the complaint, they must file a response with the court. They usually do so in less than a month.
When the court receives the defendant’s response, the discovery stage of the claims process starts. During this time, the parties exchange evidence that they may use at trial.
Discovery can take up to a year to conclude.
Once both parties have finished exchanging evidence, the trial begins. In most car accident cases, these proceedings last for a few days at most.
Would you like to have a knowledgeable Mobile car accident lawyer from Lattof & Lattof, PC, provide you with more information about the claims process in the state of Alabama? Then please give us a call to schedule a free initial consultation at our law offices in Mobile. Our experienced team would be happy to answer all of your questions.
At Which Stage of The Process Do Alabama Car Accident Cases Settle?
The state of Alabama does not have any laws that limit when a defendant and a plaintiff can sign a settlement agreement.
As such, these deals can theoretically happen at any time.
In practice, however, plaintiffs and defendants usually settle cases during or shortly after the discovery stage of the process. These deals generally occur after one party presents relevant evidence that the court is likely to find particularly convincing.
Do you need an experienced car accident attorney to assist you with your settlement negotiations? Then please do not hesitate to get in touch with Lattof & Lattof, PC. We have been helping the people of Mobile with their legal issues for years, and we would be more than happy to fight for you.
What Factors Can Delay the Settlement Process in Alabama?
There are many factors that have the potential to lengthen the amount of time it takes to resolve a car accident claim in the state of Alabama, such as:
- The Complexity of the Case: Cases involving multiple defendants or contradictory witnesses may take longer than usual to resolve.
- Administrative Mistakes: Errors on legal documents frequently delay compensation payouts in Alabama.
- The Nature of the Plaintiff’s Injury: It can sometimes take months for doctors to determine the severity of a patient’s injury. This waiting period can delay the settlement of the case.
- Uncooperative Insurance Companies: When insurance companies fail to respond to messages or otherwise act in bad faith, it often takes longer than usual to end the case.
The experienced personal injury lawyers at Lattof & Lattof, PC, have been working on auto accident cases on behalf of the residents of Alabama for years. As such, we know how to overcome the obstacles that might delay the settlement process. If you would like to have our team assist you with your case, please give us a call as soon as you can.
What Actions Can Victims Take to Speed Up the Claims Process?
There are countless steps that Alabama residents can take to shorten the length of time it takes for them to receive the compensation they deserve, such as:
Calling the Police
People who get into car accidents in Mobile should always call the police as soon as possible. Their crash report can prevent the defendant’s legal team from claiming that they are not liable for damages.
When defendants know that they must pay compensation, they tend to be much more willing to make a settlement offer in a timely manner.
Taking Pictures of the Accident Scene
It is always advisable for plaintiffs to take out their phones and take some pictures of their accident scene before going to the hospital. Doing so can stop the other party from making false claims about the crash and reduce the length of time it is likely to take to resolve the case.
Keeping a Record of Their Medical Care
HIPAA rules make it quite time-consuming to request and obtain medical records directly from a hospital or clinic in the aftermath of a crash. So, if the plaintiff can maintain their own account of their treatments, they may be able to shorten the length of their personal injury lawsuit.
Do you want to have an experienced personal injury attorney from Lattof & Lattof, PC, advise you on the best steps you can take to speed up your car accident case? If so, please give us a call or contact us online today. We have handled countless cases like yours in the past – and we will be more than happy to provide you with the information you require.
Compensation Available in Alabama Car Accident Cases
The amount of compensation paid out to the victims of auto accidents in the state of Alabama can vary quite a lot from case to case. When judges, juries, and insurance companies sit down to calculate the exact amount a Mobile resident ought to receive, they consider factors like:
- The cost of the victim’s initial medical treatment
- The fees associated with the victim’s ongoing healthcare needs
- The cost to repair or replace the victim’s damaged property
- The amount of time the victim missed from work
- The impact the victim’s injury will have on their career prospects
- The mental anguish the victim endured because of their injury
- The effect the victim’s injury will have on their quality of life
Individuals who suffer injuries that leave them permanently disabled and unable to return to their jobs tend to receive the most sizable payouts.
When the lawyers at our Mobile law firm represent injured Alabamans, we pursue damages for their:
- Medical bills
- Rehabilitative care costs
- Property damage
- Lost income
- Loss of future earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
If the defendant acted with malice, our legal team also fights for punitive (or exemplary) damages. These payouts can run as high as $1.5 million.
Would you like to have one of our skilled lawyers help you file a lawsuit to recover the compensation you need to pay for your medical expenses and the damages to your car? Then please give us a call to arrange a meeting at our law office in Mobile. We know how to win cases like yours, and we are ready to go to battle for you.
How Our Law Firm Can Help Your Car Accident Case Run Smoothly
Hiring a Mobile personal injury lawyer from our law firm is one of the best ways to ensure that your auto crash case runs as smoothly as possible. If you enlist our services, we will:
- Fill out and file your legal paperwork
- Thoroughly review your case and assess your damages
- Put together a customized legal strategy for your car crash case
- Search for evidence that might convince the defendant to settle
- Provide you with answers to all of your legal questions
- Offer you sound legal advice at every stage of your case
- Identify the party that caused your car accident
- Walk you through your potential legal options
- Communicate with the defendant’s insurance company for you
- Consult with relevant experts about your auto accident
- Conduct an independent investigation into your crash
- Help you understand how the Alabama legal system functions
- Work out a settlement agreement with the defendant’s insurer
- Argue on your behalf in civil court, if required
Are you ready to have a skilled attorney from Lattof & Lattof, PC, help you pursue the compensation you deserve? Then please reach out to us today to set up a free consultation at our Mobile law office. We have many years of experience in the industry and would be happy to fight for you.
How Long Will My Car Accident Case Take to Settle in Alabama? Lattof & Lattof, PC, Can Let You Know
Still wondering when you can hope to receive the compensation you need and deserve? The seasoned personal injury lawyers at Lattof & Lattof, PC, will be happy to review your case and provide you with an answer. To get started, all you need to do is give us a call and ask, “How long will my car accident case take to settle in Alabama?”